Friday, May 2, 2008

5/02/2008

As you recall from my last post, an email was sent out asking us to sign up for rototiller time on Saturday, the third. After juggling my schedule a bit I was able to get to the garden and sign up for an hour with the tiller. I figured I would take advantage of the opportunity to add a bale of peat moss to the soil.


Today I heard it through the email grapevine that Answer Man had actually taken it upon himself (possibly with a certain neighbors friendly encouragement) to rototill my garden again for me, along with the garden of Mr. and Mrs. Smeltzer. Now while I was actually quite glad to learn of this development, I also realized my plans to loosen up the clay in my plot had been thwarted.

Drat!

The email follows....and it appears there's a gardeners social coming up. what's more, dessert will be involved.

Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 5:27 PM
Subject: Garden info. and update
Hello All,

The steering committee met last night and this is what came up.

There was a plan for people to use a rototiller on Saturday if they wanted to do their own plots. But Randy and Don have graciously done most every body's plot already and plan to finish up this weekend. (These guys don't sit idly very well...lucky us)!

This Saturday we will be selling lime to add to your soil for a dollar a scoop. Our master gardeners suggest that each 6x12 plot use one scoop to enhance their soil. (We'll provide the scooper). Your choice but it will be there if you want it.

Our Master Gardeners will be at the garden on Sat. May 17th to offer one-on-one help to those who would like a few questions answered. ie: How should I plant this? When should I plant this? How deep should I plant this? It looks like we have about an even split between really experienced gardeners and first timers at the garden. So feel free to ask around.

A few people have offered to share extra seeds, seedlings, small plants that they have. We thought we would try making Saturday 'Share Day'! If you've got something to share put it by the bulletin board with a little sign. We're hoping to get a little bench or a secure box at some point but in the meantime... improvise!! This might be a good idea as harvesting starts for people to give away extra zuchs and such too!

The water is up and running...pardon the pun. Bruce, our friendly neighborhood church liaison, plot staker, and get things done guy, just wants to remind folks to turn off the water when you're done. The spigot is located at the back of the church.

Finally, we're planning an 'All Garden Members (that's you) Social / Idea Exchange" on
Thursday, May 22nd at 7pm. It will be at blah blah blah Church so you can just pop on in after checking your new sprouts. We'd like to just check in with everyone and get some feedback, share ideas, and eat some dessert!! Speaking of which BRING A DESSERT TO SHARE!! A package of oreo's or homemade apple pie would be equally welcome. Bring the kids, they love dessert! Mark your calendars now!!

I think that's it!
Thanks, Denise

I did get a chance to swing by this evening to check out my now twice tilled garden. I still have plans to go by on Saturday and add that bale of peat moss, but the amount of work involved has suddenly grown exponentially. The soil, however, does appear as though it will be a bit more cooperative this next time around.


But it still looks like dirt.

--It's Fosco, Dammit!

No comments: