Monday, May 26, 2008

May 25, 2008 Part 2

We are starting to notice some real change at the Sumner Community Garden. Many people's plots are greening up nicely (mine excluded but thats a story for another day) and the grass is growing into the paths. I'm not sure the latter is all that desirable, and am keeping the pathways alongside my plots relatively grass free.


After recently requesting another 6 x 12 plot (for my maters, y'all) we were assigned #48...

...and suddenly finding myself with something to do besides weeding and watering I threw myself into the task with my usual reckless abandon. After mixing a bale of compost into the soil along with a couple of gallons of homemade organic fertilizer (Steve Solomon's book) I planted 9 Romas, 3 Yellow Pear, and 3 Cherry tomato, all seedlings as opposed to seed seeing as how the summers here are neither long nor hot and bringing the fruit to a ripe harvest can be difficult. I went with a majority of cooking tomatoes in hopes of harvesting enough to can some sauce for the winter, thereby avoiding the use of Ragu, etc.

After getting everything planted I gathered the hose in order to water and found it had sprung a leak significant enough to warrant the purchase of a replacement so off to Fred Meyer I went. After a half hour or more I was back and spraying a soft shower of water over my newly transplanted vines. About this time the sun was setting so I called it a day and headed home to fire up the grill.

Fresh Alaskan Salmon was calling my name. "Yoo-hoooooo!"

--It's Fosco, Dammit!

No comments: